CSWD ReUse Zones
Anyone who has ever visited a waste disposal facility understands the truth in the saying “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure.” Furniture, bikes, and books are among the most common treasures to be found in the trash. To help keep these and other useful items out of the landfill, CSWD provides areas known as ReUse Zones at all of our Drop-Off Centers. Anything that is considered safe and in good or repairable condition can be placed in the designated Reuse Zone area, with the approval of the Drop-Off Center Operator, and if there is space for it.
There are seven ReUse Zones in operation. The locations are at the Drop-Off Centers listed below.
- Burlington Drop-Off Center at 339 Pine Street
- Essex Drop-Off Center on Route 2A north of Susie Wilson Road
- Hinesburg Drop-Off Center (limited space ReUse Zone: no skis or large/bulky household items; no construction/demolition items) at 907 Beecher Hill Road
- Milton Drop-Off Center on Landfill Road
- Richmond Drop-Off Center 80 Rogers Lane
- South Burlington Drop-Off Center 87 Landfill Road (off Patchen Road)
- Williston Drop-Off Center at 1492 Redmond Road
Drop-off Center Operators make the final decision about what is allowed in a ReUse Zone; anyone is welcome to take items out. CSWD staff helps keep the ReUse Zone tidy and periodically weed out unwanted items. The goal is to divert as much reusable material as possible from landfill disposal.
Although there is no fee to take items from the ReUse Zone, customers who add items may be charged regular disposal fees to ensure that costs are covered if these items never find a new home and end up going into the trash.
Due to changing safety standards, some items are not allowed in the ReUse Zones, including:
- Child Car Seats
- Booster Seats
- Baby Cribs
- Hazardous materials such as paints, glues, automotive fluids, cleaners, fuels, etc. These materials should be taken to the Environmental Depot for proper disposal.