Unused ammunition is not accepted at any CSWD facility. Local & state police are no longer an option for getting rid of ammunition.
The following retailers will accept unused bullets, shells, and gunpowder from the public:
- BJ’s Hunting and Shooting Supply, 541 Industrial Ave, Williston – (802) 862-5500
- Dattilio’s Discount Guns & Tackle, 794 Shelburne Rd, South Burlington (802) 862-5516
- North Star Guns, 3214 East Main Street, Richmond, VT (802) 434-8400
For spent/used shells or casings:
- If plastic, should be placed in trash to be landfilled
- If at least 80% metal, can be placed with scrap metal at any Drop-Off Center
Limitations, regulations and other specifications
- Ammunition casing, as long as it is empty and made up of 80% or more of metal, is accepted at our Drop-Off Centers as scrap metal for no fee. Please make sure the casing is not mixed in with any live ammunition.
- Shotgun shells are not accepted as scrap metal.
- Please do not bring any ammunition to the Environmental Depot.