HomeA to Z ItemsItems Banned from LandfillsMedical waste

Medical waste

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash in Chittenden County, VT.

Disposal options

Unregulated/Home Generated Medical Waste includes syringes, sharps, and other medical waste such as bandages, dressings, or medical bags that are generated from home medical use, and not administered by a licensed healthcare professional.

  • Soiled bandages, dressings or medical bags should be placed in a separate container, sealed, and clearly labeled before being placed in the regular household trash.
  • For more information on how to dispose of needles and syringes from unregulated medical waste or home generated medical waste, go to the needles and syringes entry.

Regulated Medical Waste (RMW) is the portion of waste generated in the medical industry which requires special handling and treatment prior to disposal. See the Vermont Regulated Medical Waste Procedures for regulations governing those materials.