HomeA to Z ItemsHazardous MaterialsMercury-containing device

Mercury-containing device

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash in Chittenden County, VT.

Disposal options

  •  Mercury-containing items should NOT be discarded as trash. These items are accepted at the Williston Drop-Off Center, at the Rover (Chittenden County residents only), and the Environmental Depot by appointment only (Chittenden County residents and businesses only):
    • Fluorescent & Other Mercury-Added Lamps
    • Thermostats
    • Thermometers
    • Pressure and Other Mercury-Containing Gauges (barometers, hydrometers, hygrometers, vacuum gauges, etc.)
    • Mercury-Added Switches (used in products such as appliances, vehicles, sump and bilge pumps)
    • Mercury Flame Sensors or Temperature Probes (used in products such as gas appliances and ovens)
  • Businesses with other mercury-containing devices should call the Environmental Depot at 802-865-4663 to schedule an appointment. Some fees may apply for certain items.


Limitations, regulations and other specifications

  • No broken mercury-containing devices will be accepted at the Williston Drop-Off Center. All broken items need to go to the Rover or the Environmental Depot.
  • Limits apply to certain materials. Click on the link for information about specific item requirements.