It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash in Chittenden County, VT.
- Mercury-containing items should NOT be discarded as trash. These items are accepted at all Drop-Off Centers except the Burlington location, at the Rover (Chittenden County residents only), and the Environmental Depot by appointment only (Chittenden County residents and businesses only):
- Fluorescent & Other Mercury-Added Lamps
- Pressure and Other Mercury-Containing Gauges (barometers, hydrometers, hygrometers, vacuum gauges, etc.)
- Mercury-Added Switches (used in products such as appliances, vehicles, sump and bilge pumps)
- Mercury Flame Sensors or Temperature Probes (used in products such as gas appliances and ovens)
- Businesses with other mercury-containing devices should call the Environmental Depot at 802-865-4663 to schedule an appointment. Some fees may apply for certain items.
- No fee for Chittenden County residents.
- Please see the Environmental Depot Price List for disposal fees for qualifying businesses.
Limitations, regulations and other specifications
- Drop-Off Centers can only accept items that meet the following specifications:
– device must be fully intact (not broken or cracked)
– mercury must be securely contained within the device and the device must be non-spillable (i.e. not open at the top)
– device must be able to fit within a 5-gal pail
– the device should be put in a plastic bag (ideally prior to drop off).
If your device does not meet these specs, please make an appointment at the Environmental Depot.
- Limits apply to certain materials. Click on the link for information about specific item requirements.