NEW FEES, LIMITS & DROP-OFF HOURS! CLICK HERE
Space heaters generally fall into one of three categories for disposal:
- If it is a sealed unit that contains oil or another hazardous waste that you cannot drain and recycle separately, bring the heater to the CSWD Environmental Depot.
- If the heater is at least 80 percent metal and contains no hazardous fluids, it can be recycled as scrap metal at any CSWD Drop-Off Center.
- If the heater is mostly plastic and contains no hazardous material, it should be disposed of in your regular household trash.
- FREE if recycled as scrap metal or at the Environmental Depot.
- Regular trash disposal fees apply to other heaters.
Limitations, regulations and other specifications
The Environmental Depot is available only to Chittenden County residents and businesses.