Space heaters generally fall into one of three categories for disposal:
- If it is a sealed unit that contains oil or another hazardous waste that you cannot drain and recycle separately, please make an appointment to bring it to the CSWD Environmental Depot by appointment only.
- Heaters containing no hazardous materials that are at least 80% metal are accepted as special recycling at all CSWD Drop-Off Centers except the Burlington and Hinesburg locations.
- If the heater is mostly plastic and contains no hazardous material, it should be disposed of in your regular household trash.
- No fee if recycled as scrap metal.
- Regular trash disposal fees apply to other heaters.