Got a live tree? Give it a new life as Yule Fuel! Bring your tree to us and we’ll make sure it gets one last opportunity to light up the night: Santa’s elves (also known as the McNeil Wood & Yard Waste Depot staff) will chip it up and used as fuel to produce electricity.
Step 1: Remove all ornaments, tinsel, and other decorations. Wire, plastic and other non-wood parts are contaminants.
Step 2: Bring it to any CSWD Drop-Off Center (except for Burlington and Hinesburg locations).
Step 3: Go home. You’re done!
Up to 3 trees per day are accepted for free at South Burlington, Richmond, Essex, and Milton. Unlimited quantities of trees are welcome at the Williston Drop-Off Center through January 31. The McNeil Wood & Yard Waste Depot in Burlington accepts unlimited quantities at no charge year-round.
Drop-off facilities for your trees
Note: Dumping mechanisms allowed only at the Williston Drop-Off Center and McNeil Wood & Yard Waste Depot.
- McNeil Wood & Yard Waste Depot: 111 Intervale Road, Burlington: Tue-Fri 8-12; Sat 8-4
- Essex Drop-Off Center: 218 Colchester Rd (Rt. 2A, opposite the Rt. 289 exit ramp): Tues 9:30-5; Wed, Thu, Fri & Sat 8-3:30
- Milton Drop-Off Center: 36 Landfill Rd (off Rt. 7): Mon 9:30-5; Fri & Sat 8-3:30
- Richmond Drop-Off Center: 80 Rogers Ln (Rt. 117/River Rd): Tues & Sat 8-3:30; Thu 9:30-5
- South Burlington Drop-Off Center: 87 Landfill Rd (off Patchen Rd): Mon, Tue, Thu & Sat 8-3:30; Fri 9:30-5
- Williston Drop-Off Center: 1492 Redmond Rd: Mon-Sat 8-3:30
Remove all decorations, take it out of the stand, and don’t put it in a bag!
- Burlington: Tuesday, January 10th at 7am. Free.
- Essex & Essex Junction: Wednesday, January 4th at 7am. Free. (Trees will be picked up by January 6th, weather permitting.)
- Other: If you subscribe to curbside trash and recycling pickup, your hauler may offer Christmas tree pickup for an extra fee. Find their contact number on our hauler page.