Wow! Can you believe that the first day of school is right around the corner? I am wicked excited to head back to school to teach students AND staff about the amazing 3 R’s: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle! Of course, as parents, you are probably thinking of the 3 R’s too while you are shopping to recharge those school supplies.
Here are few tips to send your kids back to school with an Earth-friendly BANG!
- Make a list! We have all been sucked into flashy sale signs, but stick to what you have on your list and your wallet (and the earth) will thank you later.
- Choose products made from recycled materials, like notebooks made from 100% post-consumer recycled paper or pencils made from recycled newspaper.
- Choose packaging made from one type of material like all plastic or all paper; if something is made of many types of materials, it’s not recyclable.
- Choose companies that use recycled materials for packaging products.
- Buy gently used clothes from thrift stores like Goodwill or Plato’s Closet (just to name a few).
- Look for products with minimal packaging—less to recycle or throw away when you get home!
- Buy reusable items such as lunch boxes, water bottles, thermoses, washable food containers, etc.
Stay tuned for more tips on how to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle for your youngster’s return trip to school.