CSWD’s Ordinance (Section 4.13) requires that all residents and businesses separate the following items from their trash and manage them appropriately. For specific recycling or disposal options for each item, click on any item in the list below.
Banned Materials Fee
A Banned Materials Fee of $20 per ton (minimum fee of $60) will be assessed on loads dumped at transfer stations that contain any amount of hazardous waste, or 10% or more (by volume) of mandatory recyclables, yard trimmings, or certain other materials that have been banned from landfilling.
List of Banned Items
The landfill ban applies to all of the items on this page, with some restrictions. Click on any item in the list below for more information on how to properly dispose of or recycle it, including facilities & fees.
Liquids & Hazardous Wastes
- Paints, stains, varnish & thinner
- Mercury-containing devices
- Waste oil, oil filters, & automotive fluids
- Rigid plastic food & beverage containers & packaging
- Glass jars & bottles
- Aluminum & steel cans, & aluminum foil
- Cardboard, mixed paper, & newspaper
Certain Electronics & Batteries
Including, but not limited to:
View the Electronics Recycling page for a full list of banned items.
Construction & Demolition Waste
These construction and demolition materials may be mixed together and taken to a CSWD Drop-Off Center (size limits apply) or to one of the two privately owned C&D recycling facilities in Chittenden County for recycling. Cardboard and other mandatory recyclables MUST NOT be mixed with these materials:
- Asphalt shingles (landfill ban SUSPENDED until 8/31/2023)
- Clean plywood & Oriented Strand Board (OSB)
- Untreated dimensional lumber (2×4’s, 2×12’s, etc.), including pallets
- Scrap metal (siding, plumbing, HVAC chase, etc.)