- At DOCs: Free (15 gallon limit – see Limitations)
- At Environmental Depot:
Limitations, regulations and other specifications
Motor oil & automotive fluid is banned from trash disposal in Vermont.
At Drop-Off Centers:
- Limit of 15 gallons per day
- Each container must be 2 gallons or less
- Oil spills happen; spills of more than 2 gallons are difficult to clean up, and require state reporting. Please help keep our DOCs clean & safe by following this 2-gallon limit.
- If you have oil in a container larger than 2 gallons, please bring it to the Environmental Depot.
- Oil will not be accepted if mixed with any other liquid (water, antifreeze, etc.)
- If you have an oil mixture, please bring it to the Environmental Depot.
At Environmental Depot:
- No quantity or container size limit
- Please call ahead if bringing large quantities. Visit the Environmental Depot page for contact information.
Note: Empty plastic motor oil bottles are NOT recyclable and should be disposed of in your regular trash.
Container Return Guidelines
At Drop-Off Centers
Please notify a staff member, who will empty the oil for you. You may either take your container with you, or dispose of it in the trash receptacle adjacent to the oil tank.
At the Environmental Depot
If you want your container returned to you, please read the following guidelines. (If you don’t want to keep the container, we will take care of it for you.)
While You Wait
Your container can be emptied and returned while you wait, if ALL of the following apply:
- It contains ONLY used motor oil
- It is 5 gallons or less
Pick Up Later
You will need to leave your container with us for pickup at a later date (usually 1-2 business days) if ANY of the following apply:
- It is larger than 5 gallons
- It contains oil mixed with any other liquid