Lauren Layn Lauren Layn, Community Outreach Coordinator
802-872-8100 x234
Send an email

Here’s the deal

Landlords, property managers, and condo/homeowner associations—and all those who arrange solid waste collection for multiple units—are required by law to:

  • Provide instructions on proper waste management (including mandatory recyclables, special wastes, unregulated hazardous waste, and compostables) to new occupants—and to all residents at least once per year.
  • Collect recycling (or provide for collection) at least once a month if collection costs for trash are included in the occupants’ rent or fees.
  • Provide an equal number of containers for mandatory recyclables if you provide trash containers available to the general public (excluding bathrooms).

Act 148 Recycling round sticker thumbnailThe recycling and trash containers must be placed as close to each other as possible to provide equally convenient access, and properly labelled with decals provided by CSWD. Recycling containers should be medium or royal blue, and trash containers can NOT be royal or medium blue.

Failure to comply may result in fines of up to $500 per incident.

For more details on legal requirements, see CSWD’s Ordinance, Vermont Act 148 (Universal Recycling & Composting Law), and VT Department of Health’s Rental Housing Health Code (Section 5.5).

How CSWD can help

Posters, bins & more

CSWD produces a number of materials – posters, stickers, brochures, recycling bins and food scrap collection bins – that help residents & businesses to make responsible decisions about the resources that they use. All of these items are available to Chittenden County residents. To download and print, or to submit a request, visit our Available Resources page.

Technical assistance

  • Presentations on recycling and composting to educate residents.
  • Site visits from CSWD staff to assess current waste management set-up; suggest adjustments/signage as needed to increase effectiveness of collection programs.

Contact the Community Outreach Coordinator to set up a presentation or site visit.


Recycling & Composting Container Grants

As of July 1, 2015, all publicly owned spaces must provide a recycling receptacle next to every trash receptacle (except in bathrooms). This requirement extends to private businesses and spaces in Chittenden County on July 1, 2016. CSWD makes Recycling and Composting Container Grants available to increase recycling & reduce food waste, and to help CSWD members comply with their legal responsibilities.

Visit the Recycling & Composting Container Grants page for details and to apply.

Waste Reduction Project Grants

CSWD also provides grants for projects that reduce or eliminate waste, or encourage recycling or composting. Visit the Waste Reduction Project Grants page for details and how to apply.

Act 148 Food Scraps round sticker thumbnail

More about Food Waste

Vermont’s Universal Recycling and Composting Law (Act 148) phases in a requirement to keep food scraps separate from any trash being sent to a landfill so that it can be managed as the nutrient-packed resource it is.

The Phase-In:

 Level at which compliance is requiredEquivalent to
2014104 or more tons per year About twelve 64-gallon carts per week
201552 or more tons per year About six to eight 64-gallon carts/week
201626 or more tons per year About three to four carts/week
201718 or more tons per year About two carts/week
2020Any amountAny amount

There are many options for complying with the law. View the Composting for Businesses page to learn more.

Other items banned from the trash

The following items are banned from the trash bin and the recycling bin:
















View PDF Version

For disposal or recycling options for any of these items, visit a clickable list of banned items or search the A-to-Z list.